As the air turns crisp and the leaves change colour, it’s time to embrace the enchanting season of autumn in our homes. With its cozy sweaters and rich colours, autumn invites us to create a warm and welcoming home that reflects the spirit of the season. In this post, I will be sharing my top four autumn homemaking tips to welcome autumn into your home. From decor ideas to seasonal scents, let’s dive into autumn homemaking.
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I MAKE A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE
Before I jump into my autumn homemaking, I like to take a moment to deep clean, organize and purge everything from the previous season.
Before the temperature drops below freezing there are a few things I like to deep clean in (and outside of) our home:
- Air out our duvets – on a sunny autumn day when there is a nice breeze I like to hang our duvets on the line to air them out. This way we can start the season with fresh bedding!
- Clean out the car – this gets harder to do when there is 20 feet of snow and its -30C which is why I like to give our car a through clean out! Especially now that we have children there is a lot more to clean out!
- Clean the fridge and freezer – autumn brings many delicious feasts which means our fridge and freezer need to be cleaned out to hold all the leftovers. I like to take an hour to go through each. I wipe down the fridge and get rid of whatever is expired. In the freezer we go through what is expired and throw out whatever is too freezer burnt to enjoy.
There are two ways that I organize in autumn:
- I organize our summer clothes and pack them away. I take note of what I will need and then I go through the purge system below.
- I bring our our winter clothes can organize them so that when the first snow comes, which is sometimes as early as late September, our family is prepared.
As I pack away out summer clothes and items, I take a moment before putting them into storage to decide if we used them enough to keep or to get rid of. This helps keep the clutter in the house to a minimum.
MORE AUTUMN HOMEMAKING BLOG POSTS
4 Ways To Welcome Autumn Into Your Home
Infuse Your Home with Autumn Colours
Autumn is a time of vibrant hues and earthy tones. Embrace the season by incorporating warm colours into your home decor. Consider adding touches of deep reds, burnt oranges, and golden yellows through throw pillows, blankets, and seasonal accents. These pops of colour will instantly create an inviting and cozy ambiance that celebrates the beauty of autumn.
Create a Cozy Nook
Every home should have a nook for each family member to retreat too. Autumn is the perfect time to create a cozy reading nook or relaxation corner in your home. Set up a comfortable chair or couch near a window, adorned with soft cushions and warm blankets. Add a small side table to hold your favourite books or a hot cup of tea. This cozy sanctuary will become your go-to spot for unwinding and enjoying quiet moments during the autumn season.
For your children create little nooks for them in their rooms with pillows on the floor to create a reading corner or place a little chair next to yours in your nook!
Infuse Your Home with Autumn Scents
One of the joys of autumn is the captivating scents that fill the air. Bring those delightful aromas indoors by using beeswax candles, essential oils (these are my favourite for autumn), or simmering pots. Opt for fragrances like cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin spice, or warm apple cider to create a cozy atmosphere. Here is my go to simmer pot recipe!
Autumn in a Pot: Cozy Simmer Pot Recipe for a Delightful Home Aroma
One of the simplest and most delightful ways to infuse your home with the scents of autumn is by creating a simmer pot. Here’s my autumn simmer pot recipe for you to try:
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups water
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the apple slices, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, vanilla extract, and water.
- Place the pot on the stovetop and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over low heat.
- Allow the simmer pot to continue simmering for as long as you’d like, adding more water as needed to prevent it from burning.
- As the mixture simmers, the aroma will filling your home, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere that captures the essence of autumn.
Note: Remember to never leave the simmer pot unattended and to turn off the heat when you’re done enjoying the beautiful aroma.
I hope you enjoy the delightful scents of simmering apples, oranges, cinnamon, and cloves, and let your home instantly welcome autumn.
Embrace Autumns Natural Beauty
Autumn is a season of abundant harvest and natural beauty. Which is why it is easy to incorporate elements from nature into your home decor.
- Display a beautiful arrangement of seasonal flowers, such as sunflowers, or chrysanthemums.
- Collect colourful leaves and pinecones during nature walks and use them to create garlands and table arrangements.
- Don’t forget your porch! Almost everything I used to decorate our porch will be repurposed. The small pumpkins are pie pumpkins and will be made into pie filling this weekend. The larger pumpkins will be carved for Halloween. The straw from the straw bales will be used to mulch my gardens before winter.
When decorating, I love using what God provides us each season. He truly provides the most beautiful decorations and for me it becomes a daily reminder of His deep love and that He is always providing.
Instant Touches of Autumn
With these four ideas, you can transform your home into a cozy autumn retreat. By embracing the colours, scents, and natural elements of the season, you’ll create a warm and welcoming atmosphere that celebrates autumn’s beauty. I hope by embracing the joys of autumn homemaking you get to enjoy the delights this magical season brings to your home.