Summer is here! With the warmer weather and longer days this season of abundance is naturally a busy time of the year!! Sometimes it can become too busy that it seems to just fly by! Today I want to share with you 5 of my favourite ways to slow down and embrace a simple summer!
I hope you have a lovely summer filled with simple joys every day xo
5 Ways To Embrace a Slow and Simple Summer
“We’re so caught up in trying to do everything, experience all the essential things, not miss out on anything important… Life is better when we don’t try to do everything. Learn to enjoy the slice of life you experience, and life turns out to be wonderful.”
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I MAKE A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE
1) Learn a New Seasonal Skill
With every season comes a chance to learn a new seasonal skill! There are so many wonderful skills you can learn in the summer it can be hard to decide where to start! To give you some ideas, here are a few of my personal favourite summer skills I’ve learned in past summers + continue to do now:
- Gardening ~ Learn How to Create a Wildflower Cottage Garden
- Preservation ~ My favourite is canning jams + jellies from all the fresh produce from the farmers market
- Making Herbal Tinctures + Remedies
- Learn How To Line Dry Clothes
- Make Kombucha ~ There is something about warmer temperatures that makes my husband and I crave carbonated drinks so I learned how to make kombucha 2 summers ago for a naturally carbonated treat! It has saved us so much money to make our own.
- How to start + cook over a campfire
2) Less is More
It’s tempting to try and fill every second of the days in summer because the days are SO long! But if you are like me this will always lead to burnout.
This is why we’ve embraced the “less is more” mindset which has allowed us to be more present as a family.
This has taught us two important lessons:
- Quality time over quantity truly is more valuable!
- Learning to say “No” and not feel guilty.
3) Eat Seasonally
Summer truly is the season of abundance! The gardens are overflowing, the farmers markets are open, the days are long, and everything seems to be buzzing!
One of my absolute favourite ways to enjoy this season of abundance is to eat seasonally because it is not only healthier for our family, but it encourages us to enjoy more of our favourite summer past times: gardening + going to the farmers market. BONUS it helps support local farmers!
4) Get Outside
One of the simplest ways to embrace a slow summer is to simply get outside! Here are a few ideas:
- Eat your meals outside
- Go to the farmers markets
- Go swimming at a local lake, creek, pond, river, etc.
- Have a family movie night outside
- Go camping
- Learn the constellations
- Plant a summer garden
- Have weekly campfire nights ~ Marshmallows, Smokies + all!
- Bird Watch
There is so much more you can do outside in the summer this is just a very small list so get creative!
5) Unplug + Read
If you come to our house you will see a stack of books in every nook of our home! Our family just loves reading which is why in the summer we like to intentionally unplug and read! We like to save our screen time for the really stormy days.
Each summer I personally have a stack of books that I carry with me everywhere because it truly fills my heart to read outside in the sunshine.
Here is this summers reading list:
For more ideas check out The Bookshelf for a list of all of my favourite books!