Dill pickles are my favourite snack of all time!! So I am extremely excited to share with you how to make your own Refrigerator Dill Pickles!
Another way to preserve cucumbers
Other than freezing I haven’t tried to preserve the free food I get in the summer, but have always wanted to learn. I wont lie I have always been super nervous about making pickles. I always thought the only way was to do the whole canning process or lacto ferment them, which is something that I wasn’t quite ready to jump into yet. Then I learned that you can make them in simply in your refrigerator. They taste great and last quite a long time too! One day I will learn how to lacto ferment and can, but for now these have been an amazing first step into learning how to preserve food.
What You will Need
5 Medium Cucumbers – Ideally from your backyard or the local farmers market
3/4 Cup Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/4 Cup Water
2 tbsp Kosher Salt
1 tbsp Sugar
4 Cloves of Garlic
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
12 Springs of Fresh Dill – We got ours from the farmers market
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
How To Make
- Heat the apple cider vinegar, water, salt and sugar together in a pot stirring occasionally, until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Let cool.
- While its cooling cut the cucumbers into spears or slice them into coins if you like.
- Once cooled fill the jars and add the cucumbers. Tip: Squeeze as many cucumbers into the jars as you can
- Divide the spices + garlic and add them to the jars. Then refrigerate.
- Leave the jar in the fridge for at least 48 hours before tasting. For the best taste wait 2 weeks.
How long do they last?
Mine kept 6 months because we ate them all really fast, but from other online blogs I have learned that they should keep up to 12 months in the fridge! BUT do what makes you feel comfortable!
Pin It For Later