Banana bread is one of my favourite treats! As I began learning more about how to cook traditionally I knew I needed to find a way to make banana bread using traditional methods! After trial and error I have finally figured out how to make the perfect loaf! In this post you will learn how to make soaked banana bread using buckwheat flour.
Why do you need to soak the flour for 12-24 hours?
Soaking flour is a traditional way of preparing food that has been lost to modern methods. Soaking flour not only makes it taste better, but more importantly soaking makes the grains easier to digest. Today many cultures all around the world still ferment their grains before consuming!
THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I MAKE A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. SEE MY FULL DISCLOSURE HERE
Can I use not so ripe bananas for banana bread?
It is best to use ripe bananas for banana bread, they add the right flavour, texture, and are easier to digest. If all you have are green bananas you put them in the oven still in the peel at 300F on a cookie sheet and cook for 15-20min.
- 2 Cups of Buckwheat Flour – Freshly Ground is best! THIS is my Grain Mill and I love it!
- 3/4 Cups Gluten Free Oats Ground into Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups of Grass Fed Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar – We use the organic cane sugar from Costco
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon of Vanilla
- 1/4 Cup of Melted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
How to Make Gluten Free Soaked Banana Bread
This recipe makes 2 small loafs!
- Mill your buckwheat and oats until they are a fine flour. THIS is my Grain Mill.
- Mix the flour with the yoghurt well and leave the mixture soaking for 12-24 hours covered at room temperature. I cover mine with a bowl cover like THIS.
- Mash the bananas and mix with the eggs.
- Take the flour mixture and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Preheat the oven for 350F.
- Pour into 2 loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour. Check at 45min. Keep checking on it until a toothpick comes out clean.
More Gluten Free Baking Recipes
Print This RecipePrint
Pin this recipe for later