As we await our second daughter I am prioritizing organizing all of our baby clothes. In this post I will show you the easiest way to organize baby clothes! Full disclosure I am not a minimalist, but I also never went baby clothes crazy so I can say this method will work best for the mamas like me who are in the middle! I hope this method works for your home xo
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure Here
What to do before starting
There are two things you will want to do before packing away your babies clothes:
- Wash all of the clothes: Simply put them in for a quick wash and you will be so happy you did when you unpack them later
- Mend and remove stains: If you notice any of the clothes need mending or have stains it is important to do them now before you pack them away. Stains will set the longer you leave them.
What you will need
- Clear Plastic Bins – These are very close to what I use. Make sure to pick the size of bin that you will need for 1) the amount of clothes you have 2) the amount of storage space you have
- Stain remover – I really like this stain remover but I also will use baby oxiclean if the stain is really tough
- Mending supplies
- Tools to label: I used masking tape and a permanent marker
This is exactly how I organize baby clothes:
- Make sure you wash, mend, and treat stains before you begin
- Then begin organizing the clothes into sizes on the floor. Since I do not have too many baby clothes I organize them: 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-24 months, etc.
- Label your buckets with these sizes.
- Now you can begin folding the clothes and placing them in the buckets. I like to also use this step as a chance to declutter so I also have a donate pile.
- Thats it! You are done!
IMPORTANT: This system does not include outerwear or shoes. In our home these are all stored downstairs in our basement with our seasonal gear.
Where do I keep the bins?
I store these bins in the girls closet. I have swapped between keeping them on the top shelf and on the bottom. I personally prefer the top shelf as they fit nicely, do not take up too much room and the girls won’t be able to get into them! If you do not have a closet to store them, they fit really well under the bed!
Benefits of Organizing Baby Clothes
I must confess that before I used this system I threw all of our first daughters baby clothes into one giant and labeled it: “first year baby girl clothes”. Since doing this system I have noticed a couple benefits of organizing baby clothes this way:
- You can find exactly what you need. Especially when using clear bins!
- It is easier to store smaller bins than one large bin. Ex. They can go under the bed, in the closet, a little of both, etc.
For more motherhood tips check out these posts on the blog:
Pin this post for later